Today Microsoft released Service Pack 1 for SharePoint 2010 which is a rollup of all previous Cumulative Updates through April 2011, which means that deploying directly on top of RTM bits supported, as well as number of stability, performance, and security enhancements based upon customer feedback. There is a detailed white paper that about the Service Pack that can be found at this location.
CAVEAT: Microsoft strongly recommends installing the June 2011 Cumulative Update immediately after the installation of Service Pack 1. The June Cumulative Update includes several important security and bug fixes that are not included SP1.
Here is the list of of the new features in SP1:
· Support for SQL Server Code Name “Denali”
anyone who has read any of my tweets or articles has probably noticed that I am a fan of Denali, so this is a huge feature for me
· Shallow copy functionality
this new feature allows sites with externalized blobs to be moved from one contentdb to another without having to reinternalize the blobs using the Move-SPSite powershell cmdlet.
In order to use shallow copy, you must have installed the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Remote Blob Store. The Remote Blob Store is included in the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP1 Community Technology Preview Feature Pack (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/LinkId=221775).
There are a couple of things that jump out at me here that are concerning:
- The link doesn’t work
- SP1 supports functionality that is only available in SP1 CTP? RBS is supported in SQL 2008 R2, does it work with that? (I fully intend to test this and post back, but it is a concern that I felt was worthy of raising)
I’m not getting all nervous about this just yet since this all just released today. It will be interesting to see what comes of this over the next couple of days/weeks, but it is a VERY exciting feature if it works as advertised.
· Site recycle bin
Great feature to allow self recovery of Site Collections and Sites without having to revert to backups or third party tools.
· Improvements to storage management (StorMan.aspx)
Storage Space Allocation is huge when dealing with quota enforced sites. This page, which was available in versions prior to 2010, allows end users to view their large files and determine what fat to trim to keep within their quotas.
· Cascading filters for Performance Point services
Quoted from the white paper: “New cascading filter support enables you to pass the value of one filter to another.”
· Additional browser support
Better support for Chrome
One more piece of really useful information to come out of the white paper:
Updated Windows PowerShell Commandlets
· NEW: Get-SPDeletedSite (SharePoint Server 2010)
· NEW: Remove-SPDeletedSite (SharePoint Server 2010)
· NEW: Restore-SPDeletedSite (SharePoint Server 2010)
· Move-SPSite (RBSProviderMapping parameter added) (SharePoint Server 2010)
Service Pack 1 for SharePoint Foundation 2010 (KB2460058)
Service Pack 1 for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 (KB2460045)
Downloadable list of issues that the service pack fixes
SharePoint Foundation 2010 June 2011 CU (UPDATED)
SharePoint Server 2010 June 2011 CU (UPDATED)